Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Paint Colors

Hey everyone! Sorry I’ve been kind of MIA lately. There isn’t much sewing going on in my house right now, though I do have a custom quilt that I’m collecting fabric for so I’ll be posting about that soon. But more than sewing, what’s really been going through my head is decorating. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I’m ready to finally settle into my house and call it home, instead of just my temporary resting place. And that means that I should start resolving some of those places in my house that I look at and say, “I can live with that for now,” and make them a little more to my liking for the long haul. It’s funny, I can live with pretty much anything for a short time, even when it turns into a long time, as long I tell myself that it will only be temporary. No more! It’s time to get serious about settling in.

I have to admit, I’m both very excited and a bit nervous. Picking paint colors is hard work and since we’ve already painted our dining room three times since we moved in four years ago, my husband is really adamant that I pick the right color the “first time”. So I’m going to shell out a bit more cash and get those little samplers, just to make sure. But before I do that, I wanted to share a bit of my plan with you because I know that there are tons of you out there who really do have an eye for decorating. I’ve seen your blogs. I would appreciate any input you are willing to offer.  

So first off is my living room. I’m a bright-color girl, but decided to go with this warm gray so that I could have fun pops of yellow and blue, but can also change my accent colors a bit if I get bored with them over the next few years. This color will also go up my stairs and in my upstairs hallway. This is the big one!

Color: Benjamin Moore "Coastal Fog", Fabric: Joel Dewberry's Rose Bouquet in Jade from his Heirloom line (I just bought some for some roman shades so I'm stuck.)




Then off my living room is my dining room. I wanted it to be this soft yellow because my house doesn’t have many windows and I wanted a little brightness. Plus, I hope it will go well with the yellow accents in my living room. I did actually paint my dining room yellow once, but it was too bright. It was kind of like standing in a room full of highlighters. I’m hoping this one will be more subdued. What do you think? I think I will buy a table first though because yellow and some wood colors can look pretty unappetizing together.

Color: Benjamin Moore "Lemon Grass" with my dream table from Old Barn Star.

As for my kitchen, I’m thinking this creamy white. Who wouldn’t want to cook in a kitchen painted with Vanilla Ice Cream? I love a white on white kitchen with fun pops of color in dishes, towels, canisters, etc.

Color: Benjamin Moore "Vanilla Ice Cream", Le Creuset Au Gratin dish (which I just found at a yard sale), and two cute dish towels from Crate and Barrel, Anjou and Tomato.

The plan is to take things kind of slowly. I’ll probably start painting the living room and dining room first. Our kitchen needs a major overhaul so that will probably be next summer, and then the bedrooms and bathrooms can come as they will.

Isn’t it fun to change things up a bit? I just want to make sure I won’t have to change them again any time soon; much better to think hard, Pinterest like crazy, and know that I have a clear vision before I start anything.


1 comment:

  1. I love your color palettes. They are so fresh and cheery. Paint can be so stressful huh? Can't wait to see some after's :-)

    ReplyDelete